From Matt Wiegand…
Not sure if a lot of husbands and dads are like me. But a few days before Mother’s day comes, I am trying to think of a good gift idea for my sons’ mom. Some years this is easier than others because maybe we are saving for a larger item to buy together like a house project or something. I wish I had a rolodex of gift ideas. Not sure why some of us struggle with this.
This year I was reading a blog and reminded that “yes I need to shower my wife with gifts on Mother’s Day”, but more importantly I need to continue to grow to be the husband she needs and wants me to be.
Reading in Ephesians 5, I came across verse 25, “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her…”
To compliment this verse by Paul, Peter tells us in 1 Peter 3:7, “Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.”
Those are heavy responsibilities we are given by God, but great verses to ‘gift’ to your wife or mother of your children with every day.
As God sanctifies me, I realize I must continue to die to self as I follow him and sacrificially love my wife as Christ demonstrated.
A few ways I could continue to grow and pray for God’s help:
- Pray for my wife. She needs me to and God wants me to.
- Listen to her. Shut up, Matt! She wants to talk too.
- Encourage her daily. Even on the days things aren’t going so perfectly.
- Prioritize God first. She is really not #1. Neither are our boys, my business, sports or _________ (fill in the blank).
- Prioritize our boys 3rd and everything else after them. She needs to be #2 in everything every day.
- Serve her with the same passion Jesus served all of us. Live and die for her.
Not only is “loving her like Christ” the best gift I can give her, but it also pleases God and helps me to be a better father, son and son-in-law.